Saturday, June 13, 2009

Home Again Safely

It occurred to me yesterday morning that I had not taken a single picture of a train, track, or station on our three day train trip. I have rectified this omission.

An interesting note about the Reno station is that the track has been reconstructed to a lower level so that the trains do not block streets and traffic above. The cross-over streets have guard fences as do all over-passes. The fences are bright blue with yellow and orange flames or trees at the corner. The concrete support wall from train platform up to street level have holes in it, probably needed during construction or installation.. Sparrows have made the holes their home. Watching the birds fly in and out of the holes was good enterrtainment while waiting for our train. That, and watching kids run up and down the platform.


The return trip was in two steps beginning with a ride westward on the California Zephyr to Sacramento, then changing to the San Joaquin traveling southward to Fresno. The Sacramento station was busy with three Amtrak trains (California Corridor, The San Joaquin, and the California Zephyr) and freight trains. Actually, all the stations had freight trains pass thru since the tracks are shared by both the freight line and Amtrak.

It was a fun three days with the bulk of the time spent riding the train. We put on many miles. I remember road trips where at the end of an 8 hour (or more) day of driving I was jittery and had trouble sleeping. At the end of each day on this adventure I felt raring to go for a wonderful evening and a good night's sleep. All that being said, I was glad to be home and in my own bed. I was tired at the end of the three days, but not exhausted.

I am thinking the next train trip should be overnight ON the train ... !

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are home safe and sound! The overnight trip could be to come out and see us!

    ReplyDelete