Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Testing my Netbook

I've had very painful back issues for a year, now. Recently I've had two steroid injections in my back. The first one was good for a few days (moderate pain). The second injection seems to be having a positive effect. Pain is dramatically reduced. I am thrilled!

But, what does this have to do with my new netbook? Travel, that's what. I don't have nearly as much travel planned for this year as I had last year. Much of my back issues were probably due to the intensity of my travels last year. But, I DO have a few trips planned for this summer ... and if all goes well, I will add a trip or two for the Fall. My laptop is somewhat large, fast, and for some one with a bad back, it's heavy ... probably over 8 pounds or so. By the time it's in a bag with the AC adapter it get's heavier than I should be lifting or carting around.

Several months ago I read an article about netbooks. It sounded like the answer to my prayers ... 2-3 pounds and little. Yes, it's slower and the smaller screen means more scrolling, but when I'm traveling most of my needs are keeping up with email and social networking.I did my research comparing the various machines out there and settled on the 2.2 pound ASUS Eee Netbook 901. It arrived today.

As you can see, my netbook is much smaller than my laptop. When it comes to travel convenience, it will be a dream.

I will test it for travel very soon, too. Wednesday we train to Reno. Finally, the train trip over the Sierra is coming true!








3 comments:

  1. I want a netbook too. I asked Lou for one for my birthday (in August)...keep your fingers crossed for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fingers are crossed, Shan, fingers are crossed

    ReplyDelete